Wayne wrote:
"In 2000, more than 5.9 million people received emergency services such as cash assistance, clothing, help with utility bills, temporary shelter, and food through soup kitchens and food banks."

I am too. But peel back the onion a few layers and what do you find? A religious establishment that is wealthy in treasure reaped for years on the backs of the poor. And why do those people require help with their utility bills? Why do they need food banks? I think an objective look (not in 2007 but historical) will show culpability on behalf of those wishing to be credited with helping those who suffer.

And where are those very same churches when we ask for condoms to prevent disease and birth control to stem the flow of children who are destined for poverty?

Wayne asks:
"I don't see any hypocrisy there at all. How could he NOT feel forsaken for a while there?"

How could he possibly? Wasn't he part of the trinity? Wasn't he in on the plan? Do we have a case of schizophrenia going on here where 2/3 of the trinity are pulling the strings and 1/3 is clueless?

This is part of my personal problem with much religious discourse. It asks us to not think too hard about what is behind the curtain.

If your father is President of the United States I can understand asking the "forsaken" question. But if you, personally, are a manifestation of a god then the question is preposterous.

Please don't be offended Wayne. I've no problem with many religious organizations and some of what they are doing in 2007. But it is disingenuous to say "look at us today" and not realize that the "us" of today is the direct product of thousands of years of horrors. Some so recent that they happened within my lifetime.

I applaud the PM of Japan reversing himself on whether an apology was due for the "comfort girls" of WWII. That took courage and honor. Something far more important in Asian than Occidental culture. I am waiting for Western religions to demonstrate that they have learned the concept of shame.

DA Morgan