Freedom of, and freedom from religion--an idea which I support, very much--is a relatively modern idea.

It probably grew out of Judaeo-Chriristianiity, but there was a time when all Christian nations were theocracies, not unlike many Muslim countries, today.

Theocrats look to God as the king of all. He appoints kings; kings appoints church and state leaders, and they rule the rest of us. Our duty it is to obey, pray and pay. smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

In the west, it was probably the Protestant Reformation which started--note, I said, started--the move away from theocracy. Islam never experience a reformation. This may account for the fact that they find it difficult to think in terms of freedom of and from religion. This reformation may be happening, now. I hope it is.

As a strong believer in the concept that the highest good is love, I am of the opinion that religious leaders should never twist peoples arms and say: "Love God, or I will break your arm!"
Love cannot be commanded; it can only be earned.

BTW, it should be obvious that not all religions are born equal. It should also be obvious that if God were a theocratic and personal being he would leave no doubt about it.

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/06/07 07:36 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org