Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Revlgking. Just to start the ball rolling I would like to point out that many Christian preachers, eg. televangelists, lead very expensive lifestyles. One can't help but be a little cynical, especially when one remembers that the prophet of their religion was executed for opposing the major world power at the time yet within three centuries was adopted by that power to centralize control of its citizens.

Hi Terry,

America seems to have the ability to breed a particular type of half Christian/half Capitalist. It goes against Christianity's fundamental teaching:

'Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor...'

Or,

'No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.'

These people have been amply warned, and their wilful ignorance brings Christianity into disrepute. I, for one, find their TV programs very uncomfortable to watch and unlike your cynicism I actually feel quite angry.

But there you see the dilemma:

I am warned not to judge others and yet I can't help judging these people. I am therefore a hypocrite in every sense of the word. Though I want to do the right thing, one way or another I don't manage it. I should be concerned with the planks in my own eye ? and I certainly have enough.

Saint Paul said, ?For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate?For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.?

So as hard as I want to be on Televangelists, I have to admit that they are subject to the same problems as I am, and many of them may actually think they are doing right.

I?m embarrassed that my church has a collection on a Sunday morning, even though they preface it by saying that if you are not a church member then you shouldn?t give.

I also don?t think we should retain any charitable status ? except where we are clearly servicing real charitable needs. Society?s taxes should not subsidize the church.

Having gone on a bit too long ranting against the church, I will redress the balance somewhat. It?s a general principle that the church?s failures are more apparent than its good works. I know very many Christians who sacrifice all they have to serve others. A small example of this kind of attitude to life ? a friend who turned down a promotion to Director because it would take too much time and energy away from volunteer work in his community. This was a clear rejection of success in the eyes of the world and a hefty salary increase, simply because he took Jesus? words at face value and his priority was other than material goods/gods.

Blacknad.

Last edited by Blacknad; 02/04/07 10:41 AM.