blacknad wrote:
"For me, the question is, what is unique about mind that it can break free from determinism?"

Philosophically it is an important question. But I am not sure there is a lot of evidence supporting that it is possible or that the universe is deterministic: In fact just the opposite.

There is an asteroid that "might" hit earth in 2039. Consider all of the reasons that we just don't know for sure.

blacknad wrote:
"Up until the first sentient creature made a decision, the universe had run along determined lines of 'first-cause'-reaction-reaction etc."

I can't think of a single physicist that would agree with this. There is every reason to believe that quantum fluctuations led to all that we observe.

Though imposes itself on the natural order of the universe in the sense that some guy "decides" to go out searching for diamonds in Siberia and the result is a big hole in the ground. But sooner or later that Kimberlite would have been discovered and the hole would have been dug. Is that any different than what a mouse does when it runs around in the yard searching for a place to dig a hole for itself? I don't think so except that the mouse isn't fool enough to voluntarily move to Siberia.

You are correct that the concepts of free will and determination do not necessarily connect to a deity. On the other hand the historical and philosophical connection is rather strong.

DA Morgan