Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Granted: And the difference between 'truths' and 'facts'? Can you define the difference and provide a clear example that elminates the gray area inbetween?

Assuming you have access to a dictionary:

Webster's dictionary defines truth as being the "body of real things, events, and facts," in other words the colollected facts and events create the truth.

Care to dissemble ... be my guest.
facts are things that are proven. like that an object will fall if it is not supported in earths gravity. even if its in orbit, its still falling, just its falling around the earth.

Truths are usually things that are a bit more personal. things like the Christian's saying, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". it not a fact that will protect you from evil hearted people, but its a truth about the way they want to live.

a wiccan truth is the return of three. that means what ever you do, in some form will return to you three times. If you deliberately go out to harm others, you will be harmed three time as much. i cant prove to you, a non believer, but i know its true. that is why you find very few warlocks (male or female) in Wicca. If they betray the craft, they will be betrayed by it three times. Try to prove that to an atheist, and he will come up with all kind of excuses why those three betrayals occur.

since you brought up Websters, here's more of it

2 a (1) : the state of being the case : FACT (2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : ACTUALITY (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b : a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c : the body of true statements and propositions

spiritual truths cant be proven, they can only be believed.

here's is another example. prove to me that Christopher Columbus actually set foot on any par of the 'new world'. there is no remaining proof, save the words of people who wrote what they saw then, or his own words, all of which could have been falsified. yet to day, it is an accepted truth that he discovered America, even though there is no evidence that he ever saw it with his own two eyes. He did discover the Americas meaning all the land in this hemisphere.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.