Chaoslillith wrote - "I just want one Christian to admit that organized religion in the wrong hands is evil and that the world would be better off if people did not feel the need to force their beliefs on others."

- I couldn't agree more on both counts. Organized religion in any hands is dangerous and becomes about power and caters to the basest instincts of humanity. I would never defend it and would be entirely happy to see its demise.

As for anyone forcing their beliefs on anyone else - also an utter disgrace. You probably have the idea from my posts that I am a religious nutter who talks about nothing but my religion. If so, you couldn't be further from the truth. As scripture tells me 'when asked always be prepared to give an answer for the hope you have'. But I don't keep bringing the subject up and would certainly not try to badger someone into believing what I believe.

Organized religion is problematic because it is counter to the whole idea behind Christ's teachings - 'Lay down power, and take up love'. We are called to serve. Real Christianity is about an internal struggle for every believer to overcome their own natural selfishness and direct their time and energy and finances outwards towards others. This is about individuals being transformed and then trying to serve others as a way of life. It is nothing to do with giant organizations - (Christianity by committee - the worst kind of horror story).

There are millions of Christians not affiliated to Big Church who just quietly get on with life and are completely un-news worthy.

Of course you only ever get to hear about the corrupt church and the vocal nutters, like the right wing loonies, the white supremacists, the gay haters and the Creationists wanting to get rid of evolution in schools.

I am simply trying to defend my right to have my beliefs after seeing religion getting a good beating on this forum. I can see that eventually Christianity will come under a form of post-modern persecution and the good religion will be beat up along with the bad.

Regards,

Blacknad.