DA - "Then, it appears, the record essentially disappears for around 200-300 years until the story is merged with a substantial amount of 100% heathen nonsense to create something that has morphed into the imbecility we read about today."

REP: St Paul wrote his first letter about 25 years after Christ's death - as far as historians are concerned, this is not a significant gap. What you ignore is the massive growth of the early church that was happening from Christ's death onwards. There was something at the root of this - most likely the existence of Jesus.

The Acts of the Apostles was written by Luke (probably) just over 60 years after Christ's death - this is also not a significant gap for historians.

You still think that Muhammad?s writings are an authoritative source of information about Christ?s life? The Christian Church was saying that Christ was God?s final manifestation in history, and He would have nothing more to say until the ?End Days?. 600 years later Muhammad wished to add to God?s revelation ? and you still maintain he is a trustworthy source of information about Christ. I can?t see it myself.

DA ? ?Political? This isn't evidence ... except for gross human stupidity.?

REP: Rome?s very apparent persecution of Christians cannot be ignored and counts for political evidence of a sort. Again we have to ask where this Christian movement came from. The existence of Christ is more likely to be the answer than the idea that it was devised by St Paul or someone else and then propagated by him. There must have been something of substance behind it. Early Christians were the enemy of Rome ? and were regularly put to death ? it is reported, for example, that Nero used Christians as living candles in his garden. I can?t believe a religious movement flourishes under these conditions if it is completely devoid of any substance.

?"Nero punished a race of men who were hated for their evil practices. These men were called Christians. He got a number of people to confess. On their evidence a number of Christians were convicted and put to death with dreadful cruelty. Some were covered with the skins of wild beasts and left to be eaten by dogs. Others were nailed to the cross. Many were burned alive and set on fire to serve as torches at night."
Tacitus
For me, Christ?s existence and crucifixion is a reasonable conclusion when faced with the evidence.

Regards,

Blacknad.