Blacknad wrote:
"Dan. You did start the body-count game.

The worst blood lettings of the 20th century."

You are correct and for that I make no apology. My point which you have not and can not dispute is that the world has been an awful place. It follows from that directly that the death of Jesus Christ accomplished precisely what?

Had he not died? Had Christianity never existed Mao would have murdered 41,000,000 rather than just 40,000,000? Hitler would have found more Jews to round up and gas?

By putting these numbers here for everyone to see do you think anyone is looking at them and saying a silent prayer something like: "Thank you Jesus for making the world a better place"?

The Second World War, with the exception of Japan, was a war fought entirely between so-called Christian countries (Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, UK, Ukraine, US). Do you think it would have turned out differently if the combatants where atheists? agnostics? deists? dentists?

And precisely what happened in the time of Noah that was cause to drown everyone that was so much worse than what happened in 1939 or 1941 or 1943?
Did the criteria change for starting over? Did god say well that ancient evil was really bad but burning 6,000,000 people to death in ovens is accptable?

Blacknad wrote:
"if I've misrepresented anything I'm sorry"

No need to apologize. The smily face, ;-), was there to tell you I was saying it in jest.

Blacknad wrote with respect to the holocaust:
"Do you have a reference for me to check it out?"

You live in the UK and you don't know the history of WW2? What has Tony Blair done to you blokes?
Start here: http://www.ushmm.org
http://www.yadvashem.org
http://holocaustcenter.org

Blacknad wrote:
"I am simply trying to defend my right to have my beliefs after seeing religion getting a good beating on this forum."

If you were one of those people who you describe as: "just quietly get on with life and are completely un-news worthy." you'd not feel the need to defend anything. What takes a beating in this forum is not Christianity but rather all belief systems based on denial of the scientific method. Let me give you an example.

If someone posted the following nonsense:
"My children are beautiful and intelligent" I would consider it to be total garbage. All parents think that of their children. If they didn't we'd have died out long ago. But the fact that a parent believes this does not make it objective reality.
The fact that people believe in a virgin birth that never happened and for which there is zero evidence. And the fact people believe in a resurrection that never happened and for which there is zero evidence is roughly the equivalent of a mother thinking her child is beautiful. The difference is that the mother doesn't start a war because her child is more beautiful than another mother's child. There are no maternal terrorism incidents. Relgious nonsense is a proven danger to society. Don't believe me? Ask the people that were riding the buses in London last year.

DA Morgan