Quote:
Originally posted by Chaoslillith:
This is why religion is so harmful, all of you think you are right and you are all right and wrong at the same time but all of you will fight to the bitter end about it.

Take that feeling, multiply and magnify it by millions of people and times and you get wars, atrocites and a lot of pain.
This is simply not true. As I have stated (but will still not expect people to actually consider the implications) there are two billion Christians on this planet at the moment. That's TWO BILLION. If Christianity was inherently bloodthirsty, evil, warring, or fighting to the bitter end, then the planet would be in complete disarray.

Is this the case? No, the vast majority of Christians are simply going about their business trying to carry out Jesus message to do good in society.

Type the following into Google:

Christians help homeless

1,610,000 hits

The first page Google brings up has sentences like:

"I noticed that almost all homeless and non-profit help organisations, esp ones
that work with youth and drug abusers, are Christian based."

"Christians from all denominations and from all parts of England joined for a ...
A new campaign to help homeless people off the streets has been launched by"

"Students sleep out to help homeless. The students are focusing on the plight.
"As Christians, we feel that a vital part of our faith is to help those in ..."

"The movement to bring Christian recovery to the homeless is still very much in ..."

Now:

Christians help needy

1,410,000 hits

First page -

"Christians mobilise to help Nias quake victims indonesia"

"To encourage Christians to live out their faith by providing inspiring models
... I really want to help needy people in Africa and other places," she says."

"its 30th anniversary by partnering with Feed The Children to help needy in
Orlando ... ?The reason is as Christians we?re commanded to help the poor. ..."

"Yet those Christians are reaching out to bring help to their former persecutors.
... But help is now getting through to the needy. ..."

"American Christians help boost emergency funds of nearly 100 Israeli cities ...
clothing, basic household appliances and rent money for needy families, ..."

Now:

Christians help poor

13,400,000 Hits

First page includes -

"Christian politics that help poor children? Amen!"

"Helping Jewish poor in the former Soviet Union."

"This will directly help a poor family and the crafts make great gifts. ..."

"NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES: 35 Christian traditions, 100000 congregations, ...
Love for the Poor To help the nation find consensus on fighting poverty, ..."

"Sponsor a child and help donate through charitable donations to World Vision.
Our child sponsorship programs need your support to help alleviate world ..."

"Practical ways Christians can help the poor in the US. view by date, view by topic"

"As an non-profit organization that seeks to help poor people improve their ...
Christians in North America are motivated by their faith to help poor people ..."

""Our focus is to help the poor and the grief-stricken victims, regardless of
their religion," he says. "Christians have shown 100 percent commitment. ..."

I could go on and on - try Christians help "aids victims".

The belief that Christianity in particular and religion in general is dangerous is utterly preposterous and without foundation.

We have our share of shame and embarrassment it is true, but the ongoing work of Christians amongst those needing to be served is absolutely immense.

It is only by a very ignorant and blinkered view of religion (and organized religion at that) that allows a person to consider that, on balance, religion is dangerous and deleterious to humanity.

I am usually cool headed and consider myself to be virtually unoffendable, but your statements and those of Dan's damning religion out of hand, really make me feel upset and a little angry (in the Ned Flanders tradition wink ).

You do an injustice to the many Christians I personally know who devote their lives to helping others, often at great personal cost.

Regards,

Blacknad.