Quote:
Originally posted by DrBarr:
Fallible,
I sincerely hope this isn't one of the issues that torque you off, but I would love to hear your opinion/theory. How could altruism have evolved? The only thing I can think of that fits with the natural selection mechanism, is that it arose out of the nature to protect one's offspring. But it still seems to me that putting yourself at risk to protect someone else would quickly be dissolved in the evolutionary train ride.
Drbarr,

This is not something that torques me off. You asked a question - a real question and you said you didn't understand how this could be.

There has been a lot of research done into this very area with social insects, especially regarding bees, for example.

Evolution does not work at the level of the individual . It works at the level of the population. If some members of a group put themselves at risk for the tribe, they are increasing the chances of success for the group - and also for the chance of passing on SOME of their own genes, those which they share with their siblings and other close relatives.