Quote:
Originally posted by Sue Hindmarsh:
Why can?t you stand by your own thinking on this matter? You?re prepared to trust some other people?s opinions on topics, but not your own?
actually, i question everyone opinions, my own included. any opinion that is not question is not complete. you have to know why you have that opinion or it is just as likely to be someone else's instead of yours.

Quote:
Why not try? Construct a ?logically consistent? argument for the existence of altruism, and we?ll debate it.
i believe we have, but you just keep claiming that they are neither logical nor acceptable. who are you to decided if they are logical or acceptable. who are you to decide if we are offering you real questions or to expect us to accept your opinion without anything to back it up.

Quote:
I?ve done it by showing that altruism doesn?t exist due to all human action being caused by our attachments. I?ve explain very clearly that it is impossible for us to do things unselfishly whilst we have an ego.
no what you have done is make a statement based on your opinion and then claimed everything that was contrary to it was wishy-washy

Quote:
This is a logical statement, based on the Law of Identity: A=A. That is: on the one side we have the non-existence of altruism equallingthe fact that each and every one of us has an ego, which causes us always to act in self interest. It can?t get any simpler than that.
perhaps you should explain how you decided that there was a non-existance of altrusim on one side before you claim it proves that there is none on the other side of the equation. perhaps you could show us where you got your Law of Identity equation from in the first place.

Quote:
Well, how about you think about it for a while, and then come back when you are ready to put forth an argument on this matter.
or you could think about it and actually read the arguements with your eyes and mind open. then come back when your ready to discuss the arguements already offered rather than dismissing them as meaningless.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.