Quote:
Originally posted by Sue Hindmarsh:

What about reason and logic - are you saying that it is absolutely impossible for us to use those tools to uncover the truth about things?
-
Sue
Reason and logic can certainly get to the bottom of things, but it is also true that conclusions that we have reasonably come to have been proven false by empirical research.

So the question is, how do you know that your reasoning is accurate? There is nothing in what you post that would lead me to believe that it is anything other than your very strongly held opinion, and the degree of strength with which we adhere to an opinion is no indicator of its veracity.

You can state these opinions without anything objective to support them, mainly because they are beyond argument. I cannot prove we are capable of altruism, and you cannot prove we are not. You BELIEVE that all of our decisions are based purely upon self interest, and I do not.

Impasse. Just like free-will/determinism. Maybe you have a definitive answer for that one too wink

Interesting debate, but you will have to present some evidence of your conclusions if you wish to be taken seriously on this site.

Blacknad.