Hi, RicS. Just a couple of queries:

As a non-scientist I don't understand this:

"Any "greenhouse" effect relating to retaining radiation is grossly more than cancelled out by the fact that less radiation gets in the first place."

As I understand it, incoming infrared is not the issue with GW; rather it the fact that much of the incoming radiation at visible wavelengths is reflected from Earth's surface as infrared. Some of it is then trapped in the lower atmosphere by greenhouse gases such as water vapour, nitrous oxide, CO2 and methane. Hence, increased heat trapping = increased temperatures. Is that a fact, or have I been misled by umpteen climatologists?

I query this too:

"One could argue...that in the past there has been much higher concentrations of CO2 and at the same time a major cooling even has occurred"

In the past 800,000 years, according to ice core samples, atmospheric CO2 had never exceeded 300ppm until the industrial age. It then rose, and continued to rise, to it present level of about 380ppm. I don't have the sources to hand, but if you're seriously discussing this, I guess you already knew that. Of course, I could have all of this wrong, in which case you're welcome to put it straight.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler