Originally Posted By: DA Morgan
Canuck wrote:
"will acidification of oceans have a significant negative impact on their ability to absorb CO2?"

And again the answer is yes.

Sigh - Morgan I was looking for quantitative proof that recent acidification has affected the CO2 absorption rate. I trust that is not the case then.

Now we all know that the vastness of the ocean is such that there is no way that the current CO2 load could possibly exhaust its capability. But this framework assumes mixing and we know that there is not that much mixing in the short term.

So yes saturation is possible and is being observed.

This does not mean absorption will stop.

If absorption by oceans will not stop, then how will we reach CO2 concentrations predicted, when we don't have the nessecary carbon supplies?

But it does mean it can not absorb CO2 as fast as we can pump it into the atmosphere.

Think about it ... were it otherwise ... were the ocean able to keep up with us ... the atmospheric level would not be rising.

This was never in question - of course the ocean can't keep up with our CO2 emissions (nice try to deflect the point of my post though). The question is, will that process ever come to an end, to which you've said no.