Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
"In the case of my manuscript in Physica C, I took great care not to make any claims which can be construed by pompous asses as being cranky. "

Let's be a little more careful with our language and refrain from implying that our colleagues are anything other than "esteemed colleagues". It's bad enough from where I sit to call one another "cranks". Let's respect one another at least to the extent that we can keep this forum free from libel charges.

"Amaranth"
Sorry it seems that I have made a mistake. It was not intended as a direct insult to J. Arthur God or to Physica C, but a general complaint that editors and reviewers should be more sensitive, and not conclude that any result which does not fall within the mainstream ideas that hold sway MUST be cranky. I always thought that physics has to do with new paradigm shifts. A paradigm shift always appears cranky at first to those who have become used to thinking within the present paradigm. To me it is a pompous attitude to just declare that a person is a crank, or just reject a mnuscript without adequate scientific investigation and justification. Unfortunately, it has become the norm nowadays to do so; and I suspect that in some cases the baby is thrown out with the bath water.