Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Does this mean that the “rules” of relative motion apply to light, but the equations do not?

I am going to leave that one to PMB as an expert to have a final say on what GR/SR says.

From my point it all gets a bit tricky because of that same issue of sanity what do the equations really mean. Inferring physics from maths is dangerous as is inferring maths from physics dangerous there is no right answer and as we saw thru Einstein's insight neither may even be close to what really exists.

For me if you go back to first principles I would say it is unsafe to assume the equations hold.

There is a classic infamous example of this which is quite topical at the moment. Here is the mathematics in question

1+2+3+4+5+ .... infinity = -1/12

The answer seems so stupidly wrong but it's not smile

Here is the lecture 1 by Carl Bender there is a series of 12 in it you can follow the rest

It was topical because back in 2007 Lubos used it as an example with string theory and someone tried to attack him on it and he has a detailed background nicely done on it on his blog.

http://motls.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/sum-of-integers-and-oversold-common.html

So whats going on well if you try to make physics and mathematics equal each other be prepared for some very ugly results for maths.

So the point to that was I can't rely on the mathematics to mean anything, all my actual physics equations are invalid so it's best I not try and tell you anything !!!!

So the message in that example is the same as the Einstein example I need you to fill in some more detail we all agree on sanity rules before I can say anything meaningful smile

Last edited by Orac; 01/21/14 04:32 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.