Yep Bill I don't think we will ever disagree really you are very logical a trait I also follow :-)

I will correct one small detail

>>> For example QM doesn't explain galaxy formation <<<

You actually can't explain galaxy formation without QM because the universe started out as a compact homogenous lump when it expanded what we should see is a large homogoneous lump and that's not what we see.

To start getting slightly lumpy bits which further up the universe expansion become galaxies you need QM fluctuations to break up the homogenous universe when the universe was very very young.

And I will use wiki to show its is widely accepted is cosmology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_formation_and_evolution)

Quote:

Galaxy formation is hypothesized to occur, from structure formation theories, as a result of tiny quantum fluctuations in the aftermath of the Big Bang

So again we have this QM thing there at the beginning if you accept the big bang story. At the moment my complaint is it is sort of painted in as a bit part actor.

Last edited by Orac; 08/11/11 02:07 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.