Originally Posted By: Orac
Forces are directional they are always the start point we tend to think energy is but that is wrong. Every motor, every system we make we impart directionality to make them start .... a car engine can go backwards if not timed properly and the starter motor starts it rolling forward. I know of not to many things that will start without at least a gentle nudge to impart the direction we want it to go.

And that leads us back to the start ... in the universe what is the force pushing against and why the directionality.

Well, in the beginning things were moving in random directions. So some of them would randomly start moving in the same direction. As gravity pulled things together things would randomly start moving toward the center of gravity in a chaotic manner. When more of them started moving off to one side of of the center of gravity they would acquire angular momentum that would keep them moving in a generally circular path around the center of gravity. Since angular momentum is conserved that circular path would be kept up and things would be spinning. I assume that the the universe has a net angular momentum of zero, but I don't really know that. Anyway once a particular subsystem started spinning then it would keep up that spin, so there was no force that directed the motion of objects in orbit around other objects (such as the Moon around the Earth), it was just a random collection of angular momenta.

Anyway that's how I see it.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.