Originally Posted By: Bill S.

but you don't need a force to create energy.

Give me an example of creating energy without a force?

Quote:

BTW, evolution solved the chicken and egg problem: the chicken evolved from something else that was already laying eggs. smile

And energy evolves from something that is a precursor to a force :-)

I am not doing a socrates here it is the way you can't have energy without containment else it explodes or implodes in a flash and ceases to be energy.

Containment requires forces which is my basic problem with Bill's conjecture that at the start of the universe we just had a bundle of energy ... you could not have that energy as a bundle without the containment forces in place else it would have exploded or imploded.

Anyone show me raw energy without a containment force anyhwere in the universe?

I should say even under string theory your strings have to be vibrating in one of the modes to be energy and as such have to be exerting a force just perhaps not in this physical world.

Edit: And a final thought for you the absolute classic high school physics problem to explain. I have two permanent magnets and I bring them in to a distance and release them. Where does the energy to drag them together arise and I can seperate them and do it over and over again how is this possible? BTW I am not proposing energy for nothing here just showing you a little problem with defining energy :-)

Last edited by Orac; 08/08/11 09:18 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.