Originally Posted By: redewenur
In the USA, the problem is different. There we see half the population, whilst avidly reaping the benefits of the worlds best applied science, claim that the universe was created 6000 yrs ago. Again, let's look on the bright side - that's about a thousand years after the Sumerians invented glue, so maybe they'll never make it stick.
Rede, thanks for the LOL.

Thanks for this "Lecture" link also. It's great to hear these ideas expressed so coherently.
It took me a while to get through it. The first 20 munites are basic BigBang, Evolution, and Cosmology; but finally, at 22:00 minutes, he gets into psychology and ethics.

...just a couple of technicalities (and a few things I learned):

It's an elegant presentation, but I don't think it is fair that he recapitulates his heirarchy and then adds on "faith and hope," quickly at the end of his list. That list had culminated with ethics. How did he add on...? (at ~26:20)
Am I wrong? Did he derive faith and hope somewhere, as he earlier derived ethics?

I liked his 'persuasion vs. coercion' points; but is he equating persuasion with "faith and hope?"

Deep, kenotic, or compassionate ethics.
kenotic?

kenosis: an emptying. Theology: as 'Jesus' humbling himself by taking on the form of man.' -my dictionary...
...or kenotic (self-emptying) ~link; 33:15.
...like 'empty yourself of desire to achieve nirvana,' I suppose.

I liked his "realistic universal ethic," but to say it'll be discovered by any spiritually advanced people ... or kind anywhere...," and then equate "spiritually advanced" with "ethically advanced, intellegent being anywhere...." is an example of his general thrust in equating religion with compassion. (~37:00)

Later....
All the string theory fans laughed when he asked "Why should those laws, -why should the Group (SO)10, have life written into it?

I liked the question about Einstein's sense of a "cosmic religion" and scientist's "difficulty communicating this sort of deep spirituality which pervades fundemental science."

The answer was focused mainly on people's reaction to the idea "that science contradicts religion." (i.e. Dawkins, et al.)

...and finally:
I'd like to hear Terry's take on Ellis' comments about Nationalism and Evolutionary Biology (the last Q & A; 56:00).

Thanks, smile

~SA

p.s. I've tried, but apologies if I misquoted anywhere as it's hard to hear in some places.

p.p.s. Redewenur, as you said, "...and fits this thread topic beautifully!!!...."

...and your excellent summary bears repeating:

"Positive Ethics (sympathy/compassion) is crucial to our survival on a cosmological timescale, on our own and in a possible interstellar interaction:

- this is not attainable by science alone. We have to go to some other resources - philosophy, religion, spirituality - in order to be able to make the kind of ethical transition that is necessary." -rede

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.