Samwik wrote -
Everyone HAD to be religious back in those days (even if they thought they might have a choice). I s'pose I'm overstating that a little, but not much.

Good point, but not ALL Scientific Minds were religious back then.
Ever heard of Tycho Brahe? He was years ahead of his time. He didn't need to be associated with the Church because he was born of Noble Blood. In fact, at one point in his life it was said that he owned 1% of all the wealth of Denmark. Religious? Oh, far from it! His drunken parties were the stuff of legend. At one big drunk-up, he challenged somebody to a duel with Rapiers. He got his nose cut off. For the rest of his life he wore a gold prosthetic nose. He had a pet Moose. At one party the Moose got so drunk that it fell down a flight of stairs and died. Brahe had a pet Dwarf!! The dwarf's name was Jepp, I believe, and Brahe had him dressed up as a Court Jester.
But he had a brilliant mind. And, because he did not fear the Church, he could speak his mind. He reported a star going supernova in 1572. In fact, he is credited with coining the term "Nova". Other Astronomers must have seen it, it was in Cassiopeia. But, as it was an "Act of God", they didn't dare speak openly of it. Tycho, or "The Tyche-ster", published a book on it.
He was also an accomplished astrologer, and the most accurate meteorologist of his time. He was even an Alchemist. At the time of his death he was said to be working at finding a "cure" for Homosexuality! Ya gotta love this guy!

Last edited by Wolfman; 05/14/07 09:38 PM.