Sir Harry Kroto, Nobel laureate, is Francis Eppes Professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Florida State University.

This is an abridged version of a chapter in his book 'Can the Prizes Still Glitter?':

http://education.guardian.co.uk/universitiesincrisis/story/0,,2084784,00.html

"...we desperately need a scientifically literate general population, capable of thinking rationally - and that includes lawyers, businesspeople, farmers, politicians, journalists and athletes. This is vital if we are to secure a sustainable world for our grandchildren".

"The scientific method is based on what I prefer to call the inquiring mindset. It includes all areas of human thoughtful activity that categorically eschew "belief", the enemy of rationality."

"Do I think there is any hope for UK? I am really not sure. It is beyond belief that in the 21st century, our prime minister and the Department for Education and Skills are diverting taxpayers' money to faith-based groups intent on propagating culturally divisive dogma that is antagonistic to the secular, enlightened philosophy that created the modern world."

"It is truly disturbing that a well-funded cohort of religious groups - aided, abetted and condoned by the Labour government - is undermining our science education."

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler