Originally Posted By: redewenur
From Wiki:
"Scientism is a term often used today as a pejorative to describe someone of holding the view that science has primacy over all other interpretations of life such as philosophical, religious, mythical, spiritual, or humanistic explanations...Today, the term is often used against vocal critics of religion"

Red,

This is exactly what I mean by scientism. The last bit about religion, well, I don't really have a big problem with scientists attacking religion. Religion has much to answer for and it will not help itself if it doesn't take criticism on the chin and respond positively to it. It must make itself open to a reasoned critique.

I will of course try to defend the idea of God and the spiritual and a universe that to me seems designed, and that is only fair - but I will defend anyones right to give religion a verbal going over.

Thank you all for some great responses. TFF, I keep going back to your first post - it is so well balanced.

I'd love to invite you all round to my house for a cuppa and a good ol' debate smile

Blacknad.