Funny/Humorous Art Deco Stamp Out Syphilis Gonorrhea Public Health Service Photo For Sale
Funny/Humorous Art Deco Stamp Out Syphilis Gonorrhea Public Health Service Photo:
Funny/Humorous Art Deco Stamp Out Syphilis Gonorrhea Public Health Service Photo Funny/Humorous Art Deco Stamp Out Syphilis Gonorrhea Public Health Service Photo
Click images to enlargeDescription
Funny/Humorous Art Deco Stamp Out Syphilis Gonorrhea Public Health Service PhotoItem Details:
- You will receive a 5"x7" color photo reprint
- Buyer ID's for this photo will be kept private
- This is a circa 1936-1938 photo of a art deco style public health service poster that says "Stamp out Syphilis and Gonorrhea have you had your blood test and examiniation" Though this poster seems funny to us in modern times, as you can see from the information below there was a time when those two diseases were a serious health threat
- Al Capone died from syphilis and also had gonorrhea
Around the turn of the twentieth century, syphilis was a public health disaster in the United States of America Because of the lack of official reporting of cases to public authorities, estimates of its incidence are difficult to obtain; however, the figure has been estimated conservatively at ten percent to fifteen percent of the general population from about 1900 to 1920, although its occurrence was presumed to be higher among men than women. Furthermore, since it is transmitted primarily through sexual contact, syphilis was a huge stigma that all individuals wanted to avoid. When people did contract the disease, they were therefore inclined to hide it from the public so as to avoid being permanently branded by their communities. Because of the disgrace associated with syphilis, the topic was generally avoided by the public and the media, such that a veil of secrecy came to conceal it. As one author wrote in 1920,
"The third great plague is syphilis, a disease which, in these times of public enlightenment, is still shrouded in obscurity, entrenched behind a barrier of silence, and armed, by our own ignorance and false shame, with a thousand times its actual power to destroy. . . . It is one of the ironies, the paradoxes, of fate that the disease against which the most tremendous advances have been made, the most brilliant victories won, is the third great plague, syphilis the disease that still destroys us through our ignorance or our refusal to know the the early 1930's there were close to 700,000 new infections of Gonorrhea annually
"No Magic Bullet: A Social History of Venereal Disease in the United States" by Alan M Brandt
Quality of Photo:
- Not printed on some cheap ink jet printer that will have horrible image quality like some other sellers
- All black and white photos will be printed with ink on paper that can last up to 200 years
- All color photos will be printed with ink on paper that will last up to over 100 years
- I will combine shipping if you purchase more than one photo. Buy them and I will send you a revised invoice
- I will mail within 24 hours of payment
- Your photos will be be packed with the utmost care to ensure they arrive to you in the best condition possible
I am not in this for a "fast buck." I genuinely love history and I love the photographs I sell, every single one of them.
I realized a long time ago, I'm not just selling "photos."
I'm selling joy, happiness, sadness, misery, nostalgia, admiration, appreciation, interest, love, hate, and every other human emotion that are depicted in these photos or the emotions they invoke in you and/or the people who look at them.
Most photos depict more than one or will invoke more than one of the above emotions in you and the viewers of your photo.
You want to be treated courteously and respectfully. You want your item in the best possible condition in the fastest time possible. You want a responsive seller when you have needs who can take care of you before and after a sale (someone who doesn't just "disappear" on you after you already gave them your money)
As a seller, I give my oath to you, that I will do my best to fulfill all of the above.
It may sound cliche, and cheesy but I genuinely appreciate you and everyone who spends their hard earned money with me.
It does not matter whether you spend $1 or $1 million dollars with me, you will be treated and cared for to the fullest extent of my ability.
This is my promise to you.
Because I will do all I can to help you, please let me know if there is anything wrong, before you leave negative response.Pictures sell!
Auctiva offers Free Image Hosting and Editing.300+ Listing Templates!
Auctiva gets you noticed!
The complete Selling Solution.
Track Page Views With
Auctiva's FREE Counter