Originally Posted By: Orac
Bill G you have dug yourself into a hole with that answer. Whilst the statement is true that is only a minor part of the answer.

The logic from your statement follows the sun can only emit the spectra of the various elements and the emission should be in very distinct frequencies of the elements perhaps a few hundred spectral lines at most.

Orac, you are at it again. I didn't say any of that. I said it was very complex. The only statement I made was that the photons are created when an electron drops from 1 energy state to a lower one. The frequency depends on the difference in the energy. That says nothing about where the electron is. All that is required is that there be a change in energy. I didn't say anything about 'peaks in frequency'. I was trying to point out to Paul that he was wrong about the process that leads to radiation from the Sun is continuous.

You are trying to put a lot of stuff into my words which I specifically excluded to get down to the very basic topic that I was addressing. I was not trying to define any of the processes that occur. If you can figure a way for the Sun to emit photons which does not contain energy transitions please let me know.

Taking exception to somebody who is trying to teach a first grader how physics works by simplifying the subject is not a great idea. It just make you look like a jerk.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.