Now all layman need to come up with is a way to connect temperature to energy of orbitals laugh

1.) Ionization energy is qualitatively defined as the amount of energy required to remove a bound electron from it's stable level

2.) Temperature is an objective comparative measure of the kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is the movement of the WHOLE molecule.

Ionization does not equal temperature except apparently to layman smile

Lets give you an image of temperature to have in your head, and when that molecule bangs into the fluid in a thermometer it makes the column of liquid expand because they are jiggling more. That is how you layman most often measure temperature.

The emission from the sun is caused by TEMPERATURE and the emission is EXACTLY the same as an incandescent bulb. If you decrease the temperature of the bulb filament or the sun they emit differently.

So using the incandescent light bulb explain how the TEMPERATURE becomes LIGHT for me please ... this I have to hear.

I will let you in a big secret there are multiple ways to emit light that don't involve electron orbitals. Try looking at Sonoluminescence, Triboluminescence and Piezoluminescence which are all forms of mechanical release of light. There are also a number of electrical, magnetic, nuclear and chemical that don't involve electron orbitals at all. In fact it is fair to say atomic orbitals are only involved in a handfull of the hundreds of way you can cause the emission of EM and it is in the minority. You use radio, tv and a microwave probably everyday and none of those involve atomic orbitals either, yet all have emission of EM.

THE MEMO IS .... YOU DON'T NEED ATOMIC ORBITALS TO GENERATE LIGHT (ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES)

So my question is why do you keep getting the atomic orbitals involved .. evidence please using the incandescent bulb?

This was my problem with Bill G's original answer the moment he used the word orbitals IT IS NOT THE STANDARD SCIENCE ANSWER, you don't need orbitals. A particle (which has no electrons or orbitals) behaves exactly the same way and gives off the same tell tale thermal emission in DEFIANCE OF THE ANSWER ABOVE WHICH SAYS ORBITALS ARE INVOLVED.

The scientific simple answer is when any charged particle moves it creates electromagnetic radiation as it is changing the EM fields, all matter contains charged particles ... so temperature like all motion causes an emission, DOH smile

Yes it really is that simple but what that answer doesn't tell you is why it is quantized and at those frequencies patterns which Mr Planck solved.

You may now be able to understand a white dwarf which has no electrons left and no nuclear reaction yet it still glows bright white ..... wow who would predict that ... the orbitals the orbitals master they are gone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf

So science says any answer that involves the word ORBITAL is wrong and we have a pile of formal proofs.

Disclaimer: No atomic orbitals were required or hurt in the making of this post.

Last edited by Orac; 07/15/16 07:07 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.