Originally Posted By: Bill G
The wavelength of each photon is determined by the difference in energy between the higher state and the lower one.

Bill G you have dug yourself into a hole with that answer. Whilst the statement is true that is only a minor part of the answer.

The logic from your statement follows the sun can only emit the spectra of the various elements and the emission should be in very distinct frequencies of the elements perhaps a few hundred spectral lines at most.

It's quite clear the answer is wrong as the suns emission is quite broad from UV down thru Visible spectrum to high IR and includes most frequencies and the emission has no real peaks in particular frequencies.

You need to do some reading on the sun, start with blackbody. Like I said to Samwik in the other post, trying to fix Paul's errors, while making errors just as bad does not help.

I would suggest you just leave Paul alone with this unless you are prepared to do a lot of reading Bill because there are more than a few gotchas and your answer is likely to be as bad as his. Sorry Bill, I am really skeptical you will be able to give the correct scientific answer just based on science discussions with you. For myself, I am unwilling to get involved in yet another stupid argument with Paul, so I suggest we all just let him go with the thread like we do Marosz.

Possibly you could start with an old filament globe for your understanding but there are still a lot of other things to add in. I am sure you see a filament (incandescent) light doesn't work in the way you described above.

I know you mean well and like science, but this is one of those cases we discussed. You need to either drop out or completely rethink your answer remembering the end result is a rather smooth broadband spectrum of emission frequencies.

Last edited by Orac; 07/04/16 08:14 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.