Originally Posted By: Orac
Sorry you are the one who looks like a jerk because it's appears you don't actually know the answer and now trying to blame me.

Simple question how and why is the spectrum broad and smooth? Prove to me you know the answer because that is what Paul is wondering.

That isn't what I saw Paul asking. He was making a statement that
Originally Posted By: Paul

and that the transmission of the entire spectrum of those sun
generated electromagnetic waves are contained in a continuous
wave with frequencies that range from the shortest wave to the longest
wave then from the longest wave to the shortest wave.

This to means that he thinks that all of the frequencies are in one wave. That suggests that the frequencies are all in one container, so to speak. What I was telling him is that each photon is a separate entity.

Beyond that I had nothing to say. I was not at all discussing the fact that there is a range of frequencies that are emitted by the Sun. And I was not discussing why the shape of the spectrum of those frequencies is what it is. I was specifically discussing the emission of one photon.

If you weren't in such a hurry to make things more complex than what they need to be then you would not jump on what other people say and try to show how much smarter you are than they are.

I stand by my statements, because I was trying to keep it down to a level that a first grader could understand.

I just went back and looked at the answer following the one I wrote this in response to. You say it is thermal, so it is not a change in energy levels. Well, if you can create a photon without changing energy levels tell me how. I don't think that you can create a photon without having a charged particle change energy levels. Photon are electromagnetic particles/fields produced by the motion of charged particles.

Bill Gill

Last edited by Bill; 07/04/16 08:11 PM.

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.