I really don't care , just thought you might be interested to resolve it.

The interesting comment for you in gravimeters you may want to consider

Quote:
Absolute gravimeters, which nowadays are made compact so they too can be used in the field, work by directly measuring the acceleration of a mass during free fall in a vacuum, when the accelerometer is rigidly attached to the ground

Is your definition of free falling the same smile

You may want to consider will an absolute gravimeter measure anything under your definition of free falling.

At the end of the day this is classic physics at it's core and since you like this framework it's interesting to see where it breaks down and what underpins it.

The question posed is ancient going back to Newton and his bucket and when we talk of motion, and by extension change in motion over time (AKA acceleration), we need to be very careful "with Respect to what are we measuring". You blatantly pulled a universal reference frame and I just inverted it on you, so your classic laws come into conflict. Your answer, like all answers to this problem, is sometimes correct in certain reference frames but it isn't a universal solution by any means.

There are as many answers to this problem as there are reference frames and you can't give a definitive answer in classical physics and that was the memo.

An interesting video from the ISS on this is the re-boost operation. Which is free falling during the video the ISS or the astronauts as the ISS is boosting to go back closer to zero gravity condition ... it's lucky you know what is going on !!

One bailed, so lets see what Paul goes with.

Last edited by Orac; 01/05/16 07:43 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.