Originally Posted By: Bill
But what is it that produces the entanglement?

QM tells you that answer you have a waveform it is being transmitted it a spacetime manifold when its entangled it has two opennings into the spacetime manifold.

So if you want the basics you need are here

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

You may want to look carefully at the rquirements that implies

Originally Posted By: Requirements

Continuity of the wavefunction and its first spatial derivative (in the x direction, y and z coordinates not shown), at some time t.

The wavefunction must satisfy the following constraints for the calculations and physical interpretation to make sense:[8]

It must everywhere be finite.

It must everywhere be a continuous function, and continuously differentiable (in the sense of distributions, for potentials that are not functions but are distributions, such as the dirac delta function). As a corollary, the function would be single-valued, else multiple probabilities occur at the same position and time, again unphysical.

It must everywhere satisfy the relevant normalization condition, so that the particle/system of particles exists somewhere with 100% certainty.

If these requirements are not met, it's not possible to interpret the wavefunction as a probability amplitude; the values of the wavefunction and its first order derivatives may not be finite and definite (with exactly one value), i.e. probabilities can be infinite and multiple-valued at any one position and time – which is nonsense, as it does not satisfy the probability axioms. Furthermore, when using the wavefunction to calculate a measurable observable of the quantum system without meeting these requirements, there will not be finite or definite values to calculate from – in this case the observable can take a number of values and can be infinite. This is unphysical and not observed when measuring in an experiment. Hence a wavefunction is meaningful only if these conditions are satisfied.

IMPORTANT => You will note QM is incompatible with an infinite universe the universe must be finite under QM. I have not discussed this before but it is why I always react when people start talking about infinite universe.

Originally Posted By: Bill

Are you sure that the various kinds don't all involve some sort of quantum conservation laws? Or at least things that involve symmetries that are considered invariant. I'm not sure whether things such as CPT invariance are considered to be conservation laws.

What you call conservation under QM we call parity

Start here => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_(physics)

Given the QM domain extends the universe outside the solid world of classic physics conservation is a bit tricky unless we first agree on definition of universe.

Last edited by Orac; 06/12/13 04:39 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.