Originally Posted By: paul

Moses did not state that he was telling a fable.
and you used the word proverb , I would use the word summary.
but not as if His summary was a fable.

The jewish whose history and legacy this is do .. and thats the point ... fables don't start out saying this is a fable they start out "once upon a time" or "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"

Lets take this to a modern American situation to show you the issue. How do you think the Native Indians would feel if I started telling them how they should read and interpret their history and folklore.

Thats the issue for me what you are doing is almost offensive and I can see why the jewish have issues with some christians.

I realise there are different versions of the text etc but you keep ignoring the issue that these are the jewish scriptures and the Torah was passed down in the jewish community.

You keep avoiding giving me a straight answer from you on how in your belief they became part of the Christian bible. It's a simple question and should not be that hard to answer, I can't see how it happens from my reading so far and there are so many versions of Christianity I can't get a standard answer.

Originally Posted By: paul

I'm not sure why someone such as yourself would be offended.
as you clearly have shown no respect nor regard for any of the religion's that we are discussing.

How do you know if I have any respect or regard? I am simply asking you questions and explaining my problems and misgivings, it is you who is creating motive.

My motive in this excercise is dead simple I am trying to work out how fundementalist Christians believe the Old Testament is a literal work because the logic escapes me at the moment how anyone could construct that belief. If you told me the Jews stole the work or something it might sort of make sense but without some explaination I can't get from a jewish book to christianity.

The Latter Day Saints for example have there sacred book which bridges gaps and I can see how the basics work. The more liberal Christian groups note they inherit the old testament from the jewish etc and they concentrate more on the new testament.

Last edited by Orac; 12/21/12 07:22 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.