Bill--Like I said--- you sack your president after 2 terms. And you select your own senators, now by popular voting. And you have a federation of states which have their own laws decided by their own legislative chambers. This is a system of government that has never had a place in British parliamentary history. (Perhaps until recently with, as I mentioned before, the devolution of Wales and Scotland--- but that still seems to me to be a work in progress.)

One of the main advantages of the actual Westminster system of democracy that was in place in the C18th is that of a recognised opposition. It is the alternative government, and as such has a legal (even moral) standing which is very difficult for other governmental systems to understand. It is possible to have elections where multiple candidates stand for office and voters are able choose between them. They are however all from the same party and the idea that a complete change of government can take place peacefully, and with the power from this change belonging to the electorate, is the main difference between true democracy and the somewhat flawed affairs the lead to the sort of conclusion that we see in Syria and the M/E. Also it has to be recognised that sometimes voters do not elect the best candidates! This can usually work out at the next election where the power changes.

I am well aware of the way that a country can govern itself in absolutely every way possible and yet still have a foreigner as head of state as since Australia, in a referendum where everyone voted, decided not to break with the status quo and keep Her Maj, I live in one!

Something you may find interesting to do is to 'compare and contrast' the American and French revolutions. It was indeed 'the best of times and the worst of times'* and revolution was definitely in the air. And a really fascinating player was Ben Franklin. He is a really interesting character.

* Dickens 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

This is SO not even NQS I am surprised it is still here!

Last edited by Ellis; 08/04/12 01:55 AM. Reason: wrong century