Originally Posted By: Bill

Yes they are eager for all of those things. You don't seem to have noticed that being a farmer is a dawn to dusk activity, particularly if you don't have a lot of technology behind you.
It was for most a family tradition where all of the family was involved.
The invention of power farming equipment was a major driver in industrializing the industrial world.
Industrialism has had its advantages and it's disadvantages.
Now most people work only a part of each day, and have days off at the weekend.
And those that work part of the day don't necessarily have much of a life. They try to make one on weekends when they are not feeling like a cog in the wheel of the workday in an amongst the other industrialized consumers hoping they won't get laid off and lose their pension.
I used to work for Boeing Aircraft Corp. In Seattle Washington U.S.A. The average life expectancy of the factory worker after retirement was 5 years. Some I knew never made it that long.
This allows them to develop other areas of interest, including discussion of science.
Assuming they haven't lost their soul to the undustrial revolution and have had an education and social support system that isn't qualifying and measuring the individual as a success or failure in the system or as a human being.
If you are a basic farmer you have no time to do anything but farm.

You know this having been a farmer?
And of course in China there has long been a population problem.

Guess they had some time on their hands other than just farming to make that happen.
Without technological means of food distribution much of the population would be starving at least part of the time.

Now with the technical superiority of the new age most of the population of every country is starving all of the time.
I haven't studied how the population of China is spread out, but I bet that there really isn't room for their population to live on the land.
Government owns most of it. They even decided to take some of it away from those who used to own it.
So having jobs is the biggest thing in their lives.

Survival would be important, and since they can't fend for themselves what are you gonna do but work for someone else?
As I have said before, all the developing nation went through this phase. With our example, even handed down through other cultures, they will hopefully work through it much more quickly than we did.

Probably not though. With all of the human rights complaints coming into public view. It's not likely that they are going to improve upon the failures of other countries, but instead perpetuate the same policies that separated the rich from the poor so that the few could rule the many.

Kicking people out to live on the land is what Pol Pot tried in Cambodia. When he became leader of Cambodia he forced almost everybody out of the cities to live a farm life. He wound up killing a huge lot of the population, because it just doesn't work. You can have a small scattered population living off of the land, or you can have an industrial society that can provide the resources to help the people to actually live a fulfilling life.

Just goes to show you that when people are not free, they suffer the atrocities put upon them by those that control them and take away their sense of creativity. Maybe this time communism will really work... crazy

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!