Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
Eager to become consumers? What are you nuts?
Eager to become brainwashed and sucked into consumerism by materialists who wish to change the lifestyles of independent poeples so they become dependent on manufactured goods and corporate farming?

Yes they are eager for all of those things. You don't seem to have noticed that being a farmer is a dawn to dusk activity, particularly if you don't have a lot of technology behind you. The invention of power farming equipment was a major driver in industrializing the industrial world. Now most people work only a part of each day, and have days off at the weekend. This allows them to develop other areas of interest, including discussion of science. If you are a basic farmer you have no time to do anything but farm. And of course in China there has long been a population problem. Without technological means of food distribution much of the population would be starving at least part of the time. I haven't studied how the population of China is spread out, but I bet that there really isn't room for their population to live on the land. So having jobs is the biggest thing in their lives. As I have said before, all the developing nation went through this phase. With our example, even handed down through other cultures, they will hopefully work through it much more quickly than we did.

Kicking people out to live on the land is what Pol Pot tried in Cambodia. When he became leader of Cambodia he forced almost everybody out of the cities to live a farm life. He wound up killing a huge lot of the population, because it just doesn't work. You can have a small scattered population living off of the land, or you can have an industrial society that can provide the resources to help the people to actually live a fulfilling life.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.