Originally Posted By: Ellis
There are some areas of China that are very poor indeed. The Eastern part is enjoying a huge lift in standards of living, especially Shanghai and Hong Kong.

For One thing. Hong Kong and China are not the same country, regardless of whether Hong Kong Island is owned by China. They speak different dialects, China (mandarin) and HK (Cantonese), they have a different currency and a different government. Speak to any HK resident and they will tell you HK and China are different countries. They even have different passports. Those in HK that are poor have, and are still finding it difficult to get jobs and afford a decent living. The typical apartment for most is about 400 square ft. and usually the whole family including grandparents will live in such an apt. Apt. style living is the most prevalent in HK. Only the wealthy can afford to own a house.
Those of course who have enjoyed wealth, enjoy their wealth.
I travel to HK about once a year. The difference in Mainland Chineses and HK residents is quite visible. Those raised in HK have manners and a sense of awareness of each other even tho their living conditions are extremely crowded. Mainland Chinese visitors don't believe in waiting their turn in line and they throw weight about like they own the country.

I remember an interesting comment made by Jackie Chan, a well known actor and Chinese Communist. "The people of China are not capable of thinking for themselves. The Chinese Government must act on their behalf."

Just thought I'd throw two cents worth of information in. Since I can. whistle

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!