Yea I suppose I didn't really explain it properly.

Originally Posted By: paul

does the 3200 mean 3200N?

Yes. That's the peak force, occurring in the middle of the motion.

Quote:

you used fully constrained , does that mean that you
removed the springs?

and the force is just stopped there.

The line segments closest to the ends are the springs. So the outside ends of the springs are fixed. That's also where the horizontal 1500N (average) reaction force occurs. The inside ends are free to move horizontally, and are connected to the blocks.

Quote:

by the way the slides arent just laying against a floor
or something they are in space they must ride on some type
of track that would hold them from floating around.

Yep, the 4 bottom elements are all prevented from moving vertically, but free to slide sideways.

Quote:

so there is a torque from the 45 degree force placed on
the slider.

There could be depending on the details of the connection. I assumed there's some slider material directly below the diagonal linkage's connection. That way no moments are applied.

Quote:

you said you made a program to get your results , did the
program take distance into consideration?

It's a general purpose program I used. No, that's one of the weaknesses. It assumes the digonal linkages have the same fixed angle when finding the forces, tho is does have them moving. The springs compressed a fairly spectacular amount, but that would just be because I made the dimensions quite small. If it were all scaled up a lot, there'd be hardly any movement of anything (relative to the size).

Quote:

I cant see how you got 3200N from 1 leg if that is what
you are saying.

Yes. 3200N on each leg. So 6400N total. Of course that's only the maximum and only occurs for an instant. Most of the 2s are spent at less force.

The average is 2000N/leg. Which is really quite close to the 4000N total I've been saying all along :P