"... most of us would opt for another round of the same." RedE comments. He also mentions the: "...instinctive drive for survival."

THE FOLLOWING IS STRICTLY MY PERSONAL BELIEF AND OPINION:

As I said before, I was born into poverty, raised in third-world conditions (lots of bad nutrition, TB, etc., and lack of good health care). At an early age--1932 to 1944--witnessed many deaths in my family and community, including the deaths of over 60 young merchant seamen. In 1942--I was 12--I witnessed the sinking (there were two battles) of four iron-ore carriers, by enemy subs, right near the island where I was born and raised. For the story check out: http://www.bellisland.net

Looking back, this could have turned me into being a fearful and bitter cynic about the teaching that there is an all-loving and all-powerful God who is in control and is protecting us. For a short time--I was 15, in high school with a developing interest in the practical sciences--I did toy with the idea that, for most people, life is the pits. Only a few of the 10,000 people on Bell Island had power and wealth. Most of us were wage slaves. But the good news is: The war was good for us in that it did provide full employment and me with the opportunity to get an education.

I got out of high school at 16. One of the jobs I got was picking rocks out of iron ore--10 hours a day, six days a week. Very boring! But it was a job. I earned all of 58 cents per hour. WOW! BTW, The same company, Dominion Iron & Steel, paid laborers in Nova Scotia, Canada, 90 cents per hour. Newfoundland did not federate with Canada until 1949--when I was a junior at http://www.mta.ca

To make a long story short: Inspired by my minister, who came to our island in 1942, when I was twelve, I decided not to be a cynic or a bitter skeptic. Skeptical, yes--even agnostic. But a curious and skeptical agnostic, not a bitter one.

MY SPIRITUAL GUIDES
The new minister was a good thinker and an interesting speaker. He was also very interested in youth and even looked after the Scout Troop--and the school--of which I was a proud member.

Keep in mind: At that time, we had church-operated schools. Each denomination had its own schools. The minister, or priest, was chair of the church school board and, thankfully, our minister chose inspiring teachers.

I call all of them my spiritual guides. Together, they gave those of us--that is, those who chose to listen--the following message: With God and a good education, many things are possible. I chose to believe, and to act on, this. But, thankfully, I was not expected to believe and follow, blindly.

Looking back, I am glad that I did choose to believe.

May I ask: To what extent should I feel guilty that I was so fortunate, when others were not?

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/14/08 06:46 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org