Originally Posted By: big fat pig
Quote:
I like Ellis' suggestion: Let us presume that we are at the point of our current death. If I were to die to day, given the opportunity, would I choose to do live again?

I would, providing I were given the opportunity to build on the kind life--or lives--I have already had.

What about you?
That's a tough question! A part of me says no, because of my nihilistic opinions.

BFP, I respect your opinion.

Meanwhile, may I ask: What value is there in believing in nothing? Unless nihilists can produce the evidence that life is meaningless, in my opinion, it is much more fun, challenge and mystery to believe that life is meaningful, and that there is something wonderful beyond this present life.

You ask: "What would be the guidelines of your resurrection?"
I prefer to see it as reincarnation.

BTW, the following may seem like bragging, but I am merely reporting the facts.

I was born into a very poor and unsophisticated family. They were, as I recall, all caring people. But my parents and 6 older siblings had a minimum level of education. Despite this, at a young age, I seemed to have a lot of interests and knowledge which I did not have to learn.

For example, among other things, I could read before I was in grade one. I could draw and paint, well, at a very early age. Though I never had the financial resources to take music lessons, I was very fond of the classics--music, opera and the like--without having to be exposed to it by my elders. On my own, I learned to play the violin.

In High School--grades 7,8,9,10 and 11--I had one teacher. He allowed me, and one other student--a friendly rival for marks--who made the grade, to do grades 7 and 8 in one year. Then, with my teacher's consent, I skipped grade 9 and went on to pass grades 10 and 11 with high enough marks to go one to university.

I could have gone on at 16. However, because I had to have some money to do so, I worked for a year--as grocery clerk and then in the iron ore mines. At 17 I entered university.

You ask: Would you simply be given an extension of your life, or would you be reborn with the same mind/experiences you hold upon death... if it were an extension; i'd choose to rest in peace...

I ask: Do we remember being given any choice this time? No! Then what makes us think it will be any different the next time?

You comment: "Rebirth; it would certainly be interesting to be born with the mind of an adult; how would this mind further develop itself? Would it become mega-intelligent? would it self destruct? would it lose functionality? what kind of fate would it meet? etc etc..."

BFP, In my humble opinion, I feel I was born with what you call, "the mind of an adult". And, believe you me: it has not been all fun and games.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/18/08 02:52 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org