Quote:
For me, Ellis, one of the problems of re-incarnation is, aside from its more horrible implications of belief in karma, is that it only allows for reincarnation of humans.
This is an excellent example which demonstrates how differently we humans think about the same topic.

RE-INCARNATION AND THE MORAL ARGUMENT
=====================================
Of course, as one who believes in doing my best to be a moral, ethical and loving person, without conditions, I believe that it is best to do that which is righteous, good and true just because it is the best thing to do. But is it wrong to think to oneself: "I have discovered that every time I treat my wife, my family and my neighbours well they seem to reciprocate. I have become convinced that living by the Golden Rule--treat others as you would like them to treat you--is a good idea."

Human pets have discovered this principle ages ago.

If you think the above is nonsense, then there is not much left to dialogue about; but if we are agreed on the above, let us apply this to the idea that it is possible that all life is ongoing. In my opinion, all life will, eventually go on, and on, and on, into the spiritual dimensions; but sometimes it is necessary for certain lives--animals, vegetables and minerals--to reincarnate in this three-dimensional form.

RE-INCARNATION--MY PERSONAL BELIEFS ABOUT
=========================================
It is for all of nature, including animals, vegetable and minerals.

RE-INCARNATION--NOT ALL FUN AND GAMES
=====================================
In my opinion, re-incarnation can be fun, especially when one gets the opportunity to live a long, happy, healthy, prosperous, rewarding and successful life. It would be interesting to know: What percentage of any population gets this opportunity.

However, unless one enjoys being disciplined and educated--sometimes in a strict manner, sometimes with large dollops of pain and suffering--re-incarnation is not necessarily a reward.

For example, here is what I believe about myself. And I have no proof, yet, that this is so. Keep in mind, this is what I believe, personally:

I have the intuition that in my last time on earth I was a rich, powerful and arrogant SOB. In the belief that we only live once, I fought my way to the top, without much regard for others who got in my way. I wanted my life to be rewarding now, not in some kind of airy-fairy after life.

The first son--I was number one of five boys and three girls--of a British naval admiral. One of his ancestor's, Captain James King sailed with Captain James Cook (1728-1779).
Quote:
Hawkesworth, John, Capt. James Cook) and James King
THE THREE VOYAGES OF CAPTAIN COOK, 9 vols, Including Folio Atlas

London, 1773, 1777 and 1785 W. Strahan & T. Cadell Captain Cook's three voyages, one of the greatest of all eighteenth century explorations in the Pacific are featured here in 9 volumes chronicling his adventurous navigational travels and discovery in detail. Cook first sailed to Tahiti charting his way to New Zealand and the east coast of Australia and other islands. His second voyage would take him in search of the Antarctic, while his third voyage, the search of the Northwest Passage would unfortunately be his last. Captain Cook was killed by natives of Hawaii leaving Captain James King to finish the last entry of his last voyage.
http://www.ilab.org/db/book1360_pb.0311.html
Quote:
Captain James Cook in Newfoundland, 1762-1767
Introduction
James Cook was based in Newfoundland, off the Eastern coast of Canada, from 1762 to 1767. He arrived there in 1762 as master of HMS Northumberland. The next year, 1763, he returned as surveyor of Newfoundland and was given command of the schooner Grenville. He then spent the summers of 1763 to 1767 surveying a large portion of the coast of the island. For most of this period we have copies of logbooks and journals that Cook (or more likely, the master's mate, William Parker and Michael Lane) kept, recording the results of the surveys, their movements, the weather and other assorted pieces of information. Cook also wrote up sailing directions for the South, West and North coasts of Newfoundland and they are reproduced here. Finally, a considerable amount of correspondence exists concerning Cook's surveys and this will be added as it becomes available.

I have undertaken to provide notes to provide background information about locations, people, ships, nautical terms and any other pieces of text that warrant explanation. This extra information appears in the right-hand column under notes but gradually live links will take you to fuller explanations on other pages. The pages were started in late November 2004. Now (May 2005), most of the transcriptions of the logbooks and journals have been added though most of the notes fields are far from complete. These will be added more slowly, as and when I have time.

Cook's time in Newfoundland was most important but remains largely unknown and ignored. It gave Cook the opportunity to acquire new skills (surveying, astronomy and leadership) and hone existing ones (navigation and seamanship) so that when the Endeavour voyage was contemplated in 1768, Cook was the ideal candidate for the job of leader of the expedition.

I was born around 1780, and grew up during the time of Wellington (1769-1852), Nelson (1758-1805) and Napoleon (1769-1821). I was with my father at the battle of Trafalgar, 1805. My family and mother were of the aristocratic establishment, including the established church. I grew up as a formal British Christian. My mother was very religious and demanded that all her children be raised as good Christians. When I moved away from home, like a hypocrite I went to church once in a blue moon, and accepted the usual doctrines, just in case ...

My upper classes education, received in private schools, prepared me to work in one of the family businesses, or I could join the army, or navy. Because I admired my father, I chose the navy. I joined as a young midshipman and, later, I became an officer in the naval marines. With an eye for business inherited from my father, I chose the navy so I could travel. As an old poster read: "Join The Navy and See the World". Naturally, I got the opportunity to see what was going on in the colonies. In my first voyage

My father, though in time of need he was prepared to serve in the navy of his king and country, when he got in the higher ranks, he did not spend all his time at sea. In cooperation with other members of the family, he ran several businesses having to do with providing supplies for the navy. My family got quite wealthy providing all those supplies for the ships and crew of his majesty's Royal Navy.

BTW, As an arrogant officer of marines, in charge of supplies, I rode the sailors hard as they went about their daily duties. Because of this I was not popular with the ordinary seamen, most of whom were not volunteers. I thought of most of them as the scum of earth.

After several years in the navy, I left and began a business career working for a member of the family who made a fortune in the fishery off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. He was also into timber, and even some mining. Over the years sailors and other servants of the king ate tons of salt cod from Newfoundland. There was always the need for timber and minerals. Needless to say, I too made a fortune and lived well. I lived in expensive homes, had the best clothes, smoked expensive cigars and drank the best wines, rum and brandy. Sad to say, I now realize, many of those I exploited did not fare near so well.

In my sixties I was much overweight. In addition I suddenly became ill with a serious kidney and liver disease. One doctor told me: "Knowing your eating and drinking habits, I am surprised you been healthy this long."

When I became very ill and was told I was going to die, I, suddenly, became very "religious". To make sure that I would die forgiven of all my sins I demanded the attention of my High Church Anglican priest. To get all the attention I felt I deserved, I even gave the priest and the church a few healthy donations.

When I arrived in what I will now call "the world of the dead" I was shocked to find: "This is not the kind of heavenly place I was expecting." But the good news is: Neither was it the kind of hell which I was taught to dread--one filled with people suffering in eternal flames. It seemed more like a large an old-fashioned hospital with all kinds of people, some of whom I knew, with all kinds of physical, mental and spiritual conditions. In many ways it was not unlike life on earth. But the difference was ... [The story will continue.]

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/22/08 07:02 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org