BTW, just a reminder about what I said about COMPARING HUMAN AND ANIMAL BEINGS. Here is the # 1 point I made:
1. Animals do not destroy most of the nutrients of their foods by cooking them.
============
Ellis, you mentioned that your dog does repent, and very well.
Of course! And, to him/her, you are a god. smile Tell him/her to read the second commandment. It is a sin to worship idols. laugh

But seriously, sin is a complex concept. Let me speak only for myself: I sin when I consciously choose to do things which I know will harm others--sins of commission. Often, but not always, this can get me in trouble with the law.

But there is a more subtle kind of sinning, and it is this: I sin when I think about the ways I would like to get revenge against another. There is no law against my wanting to take revenge; but it is a sin. There is strong evidence that this kind of sinning can do serious damage--I call it pneuma-psychosomatic damage--to ones health. Feelings of malice, lust an greed can also lead to serious crimes.

For me, sin is not just going against a bunch of rules and regulations set up by organized religions.

Then there are sins of omission--the kind I do too often. Such sins involve my failure to take action and do the good I know and feel I ought to do--for my neighbour, my community and beyond. I often ask my self: How many people are being hurt, right now, because of my lack of care, concern and action.

This is one of the reasons I like belonging to a fellowship--like a church. A good leader motivates me to do better. Can anyone think of any public institution--schools, hospitals, universities, banks (yes, banks--including food banks--started in temples)--that did not start in a church of some kind? Maybe jails. Even sports activities started out as ways of giving glory to the gods.

Sure I agree that the most socially useful thing one can do is to take care of oneself, physically, mentally and spiritually. Much social damage and cost is the result of people who, for whatever dumb reason, fail to help themselves the good things of life, including total health. But what about the social damage I do because I want more than I need? And when does need become greed?