TT Rev and Rede......

It's all much more simple than all the philosophical theories you are suggesting.I don't believe in reincarnation because I don't believe in any sort of an afterlife other than that which we have in the memory of others. That's it. When you are dead that's it. It's over.

Rev wrote--- I believe that it is best to do that which is righteous, good and true just because it is the best thing to do. But is it wrong to think to oneself: "I have discovered that every time I treat my wife, my family and my neighbours well they seem to reciprocate. I have become convinced that living by the Golden Rule--treat others as you would like them to treat you--is a good idea."

Human pets have discovered this principle ages ago.

I could not agree more. The Golden Rule is the one thing that repeats in every religion and rule. Re pets --there is a lovely SF story about the way dogs have manipulated us to do their will by worshipping us. It's very clever, and really funny, a rare thing with SF. I can't remember the title and have lent the book to someone so can't check it!!

Last edited by Ellis; 06/23/08 12:43 AM. Reason: Add sentence