I totally disagree with the assessment that growing plants for the production of bio fuels is evil for a few reasons. Firstly the food we produce here in America has been rejected in the starving countries of Africa for being bio engineered, so if they would rather starve than eat our bio engineered crop then in my opinion let them die. Secondly Just because we have the ability to grow food to feed other countries does not in any way obligate us to feed those other countries, and by doing so we are in my opinion committing a bigger crime by denying one of Earths defenses against over population which is famine from being effective. If the people in these other countries wish to survive they should first control their population growth and make sure they themselves can produce their own food or go to war and conquer the food of their neighbors. Finally I feel it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves first and foremost and if we cannot afford to pay the other person’s price for a barrel of oil then we have the obligation to ourselves to find alternatives which includes converting food we would usually sell to others for our own fuel.

I found this:

http://www.mindfully.org/Food/2004/Politics-Feeding-World23apr04.htm

With much of its population reeling from the economic disaster left from a two-decades-long civil war, Angola jeopardized its international aid last month by announcing it would not accept genetically modified food, consumed daily by Americans in any number of processed foods, but shunned by Europeans.

Angola's decision has been even more maddening to aid groups because the specifics of the ban remain unclear. As a result a 19,000-ton U.S. corn shipment to the country has been delayed.

Zambia and Zimbabwe, citing environmental and health fears, have also rejected biotech food aid in the past. Other African countries have accepted American biotech grain only after it was milled to prevent errant seeds from taking hold in the countryside.

Last edited by Rallem; 06/09/08 09:57 PM.