Originally Posted By: Rallem
There is a tree which I think is called the Jathropa tree or something like that, and it produces a fruit with a pit inside that can be turned into a diesel fuel alternative. The tree has an advantage of growing in poor soil conditions, and growing rather quickly, but has a disadvantage of only producing about one gallon of fuel a year per tree.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

After re-reading the posts to "BioFuels are a Crime" ....I have
been struck by the simplicity of the idea put forward by Samwick, when he stated, two posts above:-

Originally Posted By: by Samwick

Restoring degraded lands, and not using arable land,
should be the focus when growing biofuel crops.
Samwick.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

THAT IS A FABULOUS IDEA, SAMWICK. YOUR IDEA EVEN PROVOKED RALLEM TO MAKE THE REPLY REGARDING THE BILBAO TREE ABOVE

Yes, But to grow in degraded lands ie. Sand Deserts is probably impossibly idealistic...even unobtainable.
But new ideas come from discussions like yours.
Here is mine. A result of your original idea Sam-

Forget about Deserts...think Sea, Salty Ocean Sea's.....and the harvesting of Seaweeds!!
Theres thousands/millions of tons of seaweed just waiting to be harvested for Its Oil Content!
The residue to be used for re-fertilisation of the land.

Investigations as to whether deep sea, or coastal seaweeds would yield the most oil, could be done tomorrow. Keep the the land for food growing, and help the world of tomorrow.
End.

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 09/29/08 10:03 PM.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.