Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
Dear dehammer,

You just do not understand relativity, and you are not willing to try and understand it! Basically you are arguing that light speed in galaxies receding from us at about light speed should be nearly zero. REALLY!! If there is a civilization in such a galaxy, they will se US receding from them at about light speed. If the have a dehammer they will conclude that light speed here in our galaxy (and on earth) will be near zero.
totally not what i said. i said the speed of light was the same no matter what the speed of the object that sent out the light.

nothing can go the speed of light, so there is no way a galazy can go that speed.

light is the yardstick that other speeds are measured against.

lets say that a galazy is moving at .99 light speed, in the opposite directions. we are moving at .01 light speed in our directions. that means that in relation to each other we see they other moving away at light speed. since we know that it cant be moving at light speed. we would then figure out that we are moving too. due to time dialation they would see us moving several times the speed of light, but knowing that is impossible (assuming they understand relativity) they would conclude that their time was being dialated.

lets us some real numbers here.

light speed is 186000 miles a second. a ship moving at .8 light speed is moving at 148800 miles per second. in relation to it, everything else appears (perception) to be moving at 148800 miles a second in the opposite direction. a beam of light would be moving at a real rate of 37200 miles per second in relation to the ship. due to time dialation someone in the ship would measure the speed of light as still being 186000 miles a second. this is because time dialated to 1/5 that of someone not moving in relation to light.

if this ship was approaching a planet, and they saw a ship comeing from the opposite directions, the light from that ship would still be reaching them at the speed of light. im afraid i dont remember the formula the researcher gave as to how to determine that appearant they would see the other ship approaching, but they would not see it being faster than light either.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.