Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Johnny Boy asks:
"Please derive your conclusions from what I supposedly said incorrectly!"

You said: "Mass is inertia"

And your source of this is?

No doubt your answer will be most enlighteng.
What mass implies is that the body will "resist" from being accelerated; i.e. it will resist from being moved from its position of rest (an equilibrium position) within its proper inertial reference frame (i.e. the inertial reference frame moving along with it). In fact this is where the term "inertial reference frame" comes from. I have read this interpretation many times in different handbooks and treatises when I studied classical mechanics.

Now applying this concept in a lateral way; resistance of an entity from being moved from equilibrium implies the presence of a restoring force. Thus modelling the free electron in its proper reference frame as experiencing a restoring force when an attempt is made to move it, gives a time-independent harmonic Gaussian wave whose quantum mechanical energy must correspond to the rest mass of the electron. Where does the restoring force come from? By assuming the manifestation of a virtual positive charge, Coulomb's law can be used to derive an expression that models the electron charge within the field of an equal positive charge situated over a fourth dimension.

This model indicates that matter and anti-matter could be separated over a three-dimensional interface (our three dimensional space). It also shows that an electron could have excited states (muon and tau?). It also gives a solution when applying a magnetic field along a z-axis. Using spherical coordinates it is found that the angle with the z-axis must be either 0 or pi for the electron mass-energy not to incease. This can be interpreted as a re-orientation of the axis along the fourth dimension relative to the three-dimensional space axes. etc. I think that this model opens up so many novel possibilities that it should be objectively analysed by the scientific community.