Originally Posted By: Bill
Ok, let's take this one step at a time. Please answer the following question.

Do you believe that String Theory is correct?

Bill Gill

Nope I don't think it is correct but nor do I think it is dead and possibly it will kick on for years yet and that is fine as it isn't definitively dead. Again that is a personal view nothing more, nothing less. I liked the ideas a few years ago but would have expected different results and so have cooled on the idea.

An interesting question to ask is when does a scientist become what I call a crackpot. My answer would be when they refuse to accept results because they don't like them or they are at odds with there theory yet they have no alternative answer.

Einstein did not like the implications of QM, his objections were fine in the 1920's but by the late 1930's and then the 40's I probably would have called him a crackpot. It's hard historically because I wasn't there to see what he said and you always wonder how accurately the media got his views.

You don't like Lubos but he is operating in a small window that is still valid and hasn't moved yet into the crackpot status. I haven't ever seen him say he won't or doesn't believe something and he accepts results and as long as he does that he is fine with me. He operates in that area you sort of discussed legitimate alternative ideas.

I actually am quite interested in this idea at the moment
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150527-a-new-theory-to-explain-the-higgs-mass/

Not saying it is correct or anything remotely like that but it's an interesting new approach.

Last edited by Orac; 06/13/15 02:54 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.