So people should keep investigating crackpot ideas that can be shown to be trivially false by a number of experiments .... hmmmm interesting concept.

Calling Marosz .... explain your idea to Bill again ... he needs pages and pages of drawings please and lots on new experiments you built out of lego on the kitchen table smile

Originally Posted By: Bill G
the approaches may not wind up going any where, but listing them is a completely valid exercise and can be useful to people who are not actively working in the field.

The real answer is even with greats like Einstein we trivially ignore some of there theories and ideas because we know they are trivially wrong due to later results.

Lee Smolin may once have had valid ideas but all his ideas are long washed up on the scrapheap of experimental results, you may care to do some reading. He has one last theory still standing that inflation is caused by the simplest field and what he is short on is what this field is. I would argue that it is not even really a unique idea because I have seen it suggested indirectly by many. Every other theory and idea he has contributed is dead like a Norwegian Blue.

Unfortunately getting Lee Smolin to explain the current state of physics seems a bit to me like asking Einstein to explain Quantum Mechanics back in his day ... given what they believe you might get some half truths and it will be entertaining smile

For what it's worth at the level you are prepared to read I stick with Prof Matt Strassler.

Last edited by Orac; 06/12/15 03:29 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.