In real number systems I am not sure I rarely use them perhaps you are correct.

Infinity is usually a digit number (perhaps always not sure ask a mathematician) in complex number analysis.

I mostly use Extended complex numbers as would many janitors and then quaterions. The extended plane represents the extended complex numbers, that is, the complex numbers plus a value for infinity. As much of my work is with 3D the number set is extended to a 3D spacetime plane.

Link to it's basics
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExtendedComplexPlane.html

Quote:
The extended complex plane is the name gives to the complex plane with a point at infinity

Here is the layman wiki entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere

Quote:
It also finds utility in other disciplines that depend on analysis and geometry, such as quantum mechanics and other branches of physics.

I have no doubt your number system is quite natural to you but it is quite foreign to me.

To understand why the use of extended complex numbers is widespread in physics (or at least the areas that I know I won't speak for all) is what I am trying to get you to think about.

Again I am not going to claim we are right or wrong just that we see it different. The use of the two different number systems is what is causing much of the disconnect between us.

Ah but I forgot your claims that apparently there is no number system like that and/or the argument is invalid etc etc. So I guess if anyone did use that system they could only be called a janitor laugh

I understand your logic and view and it's not up to me to convert you to my janitor world, after all who no one is ever going to change your minds smile

I am not sure what to think now because my (and many other physicists) number system doesn't exist now it has had a "Kill Bill" execution laugh

Excuse my jibes but you two have painted yourselves into a very amusing little corner and you were so sure you had me this time. I can catch Bill G every time I just have to say something that science believes but Bill G doesn't know and get him going. Can I suggest the best option now is to go it's all the work of the devil and not god's numbers as the route to dig your way out (Joking lookup Leopold Kronecker). There was perhaps a lesson in this for you which I hope you got.

Seriously the thought you needed was why does physics need complex number mathematics which you both refused to think about. Why is it we can't and don't use your real number systems which even I concede makes sense?

Originally Posted By: Albert Einstein
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Last edited by Orac; 11/29/14 09:12 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.