To Tesla2006:

Your post may be based on information that I am not familiar with so please consider my reply with that in mind.

You say you send a signal at a frequency that is absorbed by the plasma within the ionosphere and then you time the return on the signal to obtain the speed that the signal consumed to travel from your antenna and back again. There are two things I do recognize in your post. The circumference of the Earth expressed in kilometers at 40,000 that equals about 24,854.8 miles. This suggests you are concluding that your signal is traveling around the circumference of the Earth and you see this to be very fast at 471,240 Km per second that converts to 292,814.4 miles per second. I think this restatement is consistent with your view.

My thought is that your speed is measured on an erroneous distance. I do not think your signal is traveling around the Earth and that means it must be traveling some lesser distance. The speed of light here at Earth has been measured many times and I do not conceive of the academics being that far off under any circumstances. Using your 292,814.4 miles per second divided by the actual speed of light of 186,281 miles per second you have the light traveling 1.572 times as fast as normal, Dividing your Earths circumference by 1.572 I get a probable distance from the reflecting surface of 15,811 miles distance. This is simply (24,854.8/1.572)= 15,811 miles. I do not know the angles of the signal and I do not know what there is out there that is reflecting your signals but I am quite satisfied you are not getting a proper measurement meaning the signal is not traveling around the Earth back to you- if it does you will measure it at about the speed everyone else measures it at. Try to figure out where your reflection is coming from.
jjw