Blacknad,
Have you ever heard of the conscience universe theory, which states that the universe and planets inhabited by living organisms are also living organisms?
(To me, this theory makes a lot of sense and that is another one of the reason why I don't believe in a creator.)

(The following may be highly scientifically inaccurate.)
If we were cells on a planet (which communicates with other planets via radio signals) many of us who produced those signals would have died, and they would be received by a later generation.
Life could then be said to exist in different levels invisible to us because they are either too large and going too slowly (universes) or too fast and small (particles of matter)
I will stop here because this is a philosophical theory and I don't want to annoy any scientists. That is a possible answer to your question on why life exists at all. Though, my personal theory is, there is no reason for it, it is just a natural occurrence like any other which, by coincidence produces life. In a nutshell, a human falling in love is about as impressive as an oxygen atom fusing with another oxygen atom.